The components of LibreOffice are the same as those of OpenOffice.org, from which it is derived:
- LibreOffice Writer is the word processor in LibreOffice, with similar functionality and file support to Microsoft Word or WordPerfect. It also can act as a basic WYSIWYG editor.
- LibreOffice Calc is the included spreadsheet program, similar to Microsoft Excel or Lotus 1-2-3. It has a number of unique features, including a system which automatically defines series of graphs, based on information available to the user. LibreOffice Calc still has a function called "Solver" but it is slightly different to that in OpenOffice.org.
- LibreOffice Impress is the presentation program in the suite, resembling Microsoft Powerpoint. Presentations can be exported as SWF files, allowing them to be viewed on any computer with Adobe Flash installed. LibreOffice Impress also includes 3D transition effects.
- LibreOffice Base is the software's database management program, similar to Microsoft Access. LibreOffice Base allows the creation and management of databases, preparation of forms and reports that provide end users easy access to data. Like Access, it can be used as a front-end for various database systems, including Access databases (JET), ODBC data sources, and MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- LibreOffice Draw is a vector graphics editor and diagramming tool similar to Microsoft Visio and comparable in features to early versions of CorelDRAW. It provides connectors between shapes, which are available in a range of line styles and facilitate building drawings such as flowcharts. It also includes features similar to desktop publishing software such as Scribus and Microsoft Publisher.
- LibreOffice Math is an application designed for creating and editing mathematical formulae. The application uses a variant of XML for creating formulas, as defined in the OpenDocument specification. These formulas can be incorporated into other documents in the LibreOffice suite, such as those created by Writer or Calc, by embedding the formulas into the document.
LibreOffice also comes with a PDF creator and also a PDF import tool allowing PDF files to be imported.